What an amazing year this was for our little family!
Charlotte Betty Coker was born April 24, a week late and a whopping 9 pounds 14 ounces. She immediately stole her parents’ and her big sister’s hearts. Charlotte has proven to be a remarkably mellow child, though she does sometimes express a strong preference for hanging out with her mommy.
Sophie continues to impress her parents (and, really, everyone she meets) with her intelligence and creativity. She’s on the brink of reading now, doing her first really representational bits of drawing and capable of conversing on a huge range of topics. (Just try to keep up once she starts talking about why it gets dark at night!) This was a big year for her; she gave up pacifiers and started using the toilet.
Rachel’s still thrilled to be working at Binghamton University, where the faculty/staff paper and research magazine offer new challenges and interesting opportunities. She’s also joined the Weight Watchers cult and is pleased to see all that “baby fat” melting away at long last.
Eric received a big promotion this year, to news editor of the Press & Sun-Bulletin, Binghamton’s daily newspaper. He lays out the front page most nights and enjoys keeping up on all the latest events.
Besides our new baby, the big news in the family was Eric’s brother’s May wedding. We adore our new sister-in-law, Megan, who’s a teacher in Glens Falls.
The baby’s arrival meant we didn’t take any huge trips this year, though we did squeeze in a few days at the Jersey shore with Rachel’s high school pal Heather Garton and almost a week at Rachel’s dad’s farm outside Madison, Wisconsin.
Thanks for taking the time to check out our little Year in Review project. We wish you very happy holidays and a splendid 2008 filled with good health and good cheer. Keep in touch!
Eric’s picks for the year’s best albums:
1. Bruce Springsteen: Magic
2. America: Here and Now
3. Fountains of Wayne: Traffic and Weather
4. Ryan Shaw: This is Ryan Shaw
5. Josh Ritter: The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
6. Jimmy Eat World: Chase This Light
7. Crowded House: Time on Earth
8. Marc Cohn: Join the Parade
9. Eagles: Long Road Out of Eden
10. Hanson: The Walk
Rachel’s picks for the year’s best albums:
1. Ryan Shaw: This is Ryan Shaw
2. Fountains of Wayne: Traffic and Weather
3. America: Here and Now
4. Bruce Springsteen: Magic
5. Maroon 5: It Won’t be Soon Before Long
6. Crowded House: Time on Earth
7. Loudon Wainwright: Strange Weirdos
8. Lucy Kaplansky: Over the Hills
9. Jimmy Eat World: Chase This Light
10. KT Tunstall: Drastic Fantastic